Monday, October 23, 2017

23 Oct 2017 Trip to the city

Today we, with the Weights and Bishops took a trip into DC on the Metro. We had a good time, visited the Capital Building (outside) and the Library of Congress and the Supreme Court, Elder Weight is a Lawyer so that was a must. I found it very interesting. The tour guide said the judicial branch interprets the law, I wanted to raise my hand and ask why they are making new laws while they interpret the law, but I didn't.  The Library of Congress was good too, so was the Capital Building. Here is a story, with all the increase of security, they wouldn't let anyone in with food, water and of course weapons of any kind. I always have a pocket knife, not as a weapon but whatever. Sister Bishop had a bag with water and food, I had my pocket knives (2 little ones). So I said I'll wait outside, they went in and a few minutes later came out and said we could check the bag at the Library of Congress, so we went there to check the bag. They checked the water, food, but not the knives, they wouldn't check those (probably left wing liberals). So Elder Weight said just hide the knives in the grass then get them later, nope can't leave anything. So I walked back to the Capital Building, walked past a orange cone with a hole on top. I walked past it, dropped the knives into the hole and kept walking. Nobody but me knew they were there. At the end of the day I picked them back up and went on my merry way. We had a great time. Here are some pictures:

The first four are of the Capital Building


With Patty in the middle on her left are the Weights
and on her right are the Bishops




This is inside the visitor center,
that's the same statue on top the Capital Building


Each State gives one or two statues to the center
This one is of Father Francisco Kino

The next three are inside the dome
I tried to get as good of one as I could
It is a mural of George Washington rising as a god. Well, that what the guide said.





This one shows the best look, George is right above the sword. He is draped with a pink blanket 
(or something).  Anyway it was cool.


This picture is pretty well known, it is in all the history books on the signing of the Declaration of Independence 


This is Utah's statue of Brigham Young





Patty and Sister Bishop




I like this one of the Capital


The Reading room in the Library of Congress


The Supreme Court



The back chairs are where the Justices sit
I really enjoyed this tour, it was very interesting


The next three are the Library of Congress




That's the dome with the mural
By the way as we walk to our church building we can see both 
the Library of Congress and the Capital Building


This walk way is just to the left of the walkway where the infamous orange cone was


And That's it, I tell you it was genius.  


I forgot, in the evening we went to dinner with the "Arizona Bunch"
There are several of us from Az. I'd say as many if not more than any other state. Anyway here is a picture of the group. I pointed out the Slade's and Comb's because I wanted to point them out to my family. Steve Slade knows the Coombs, and of course the Slade's



I'm definitely sure their's more to come, until then Keep the faith

No comments:

Post a Comment