Tuesday, October 17, 2017

15 Oct 2017 Week 2 at the Deaf Branch

Today was the 2nd week we attended the deaf branch, it is a very warm and inviting branch. It does make it easier if you sign or can read sign language, however they always ask if someone needs voice interpreting. If thats the case someone, usually the sisters, will sit in the congregation and voice interpret. Everything is displayed on a video screen behind the speaker and in front of the branch presidency. Like speaking in conference, sort of. Anyway working with the deaf members is always a learning experience. They prefer you sign, when you speak or pray or whatever, and not voice for yourself. In other words like today I was asked to give the closing prayer, I signed the prayer and one of the sisters voice interpreted for me, I could have done both myself, but they feel it doesn't interpret the same???. I guess it works. Music is played on a iPhone or iPad and displayed on the screen, with someone signing the words, everyone follows the music director. These are some very sharp and smart people, most of the deaf I've met sign and read lips well, and most voice to you. Here's an example in Sunday School today the teacher said in class we sign everything, so the YW president ask if we wanted a voice translation? Patty said yes and she, who is deaf, voice translated perfectly. It really makes it easy for any stake leader to attend any meeting without missing anything. By the way the instructor was hearing, but still had Sister Munro voice interpret. On the other hand the same instructor taught priesthood and it was all signing because no one needed voice interpreting. Cool huh! If I work hard and pay attention I believe I can become better with my language skills. Actually today a sister said to me ( 1 week ago was the first time there, mind you) you're getting better. That's because I bore my testimony last week and said I need help. Already love this ward! Last Friday was ASL training at the temple, now that is a chore to learn, but I will do it. This Friday is ASL session day, we will see how that goes. I'll report back later. I think the Lords has us here for a reason, you think? So far we're having a great experience. President Van De Graaf has not been to church, (out of town last week and sick the week before), but next week is Branch conference so we will see him again. The last time I saw him was in Tucson when he was the branch president of the Tucson Branch. I know he and dad were good friends. Sister Slade and I are trying to either stay late after our shifts or go in early so we can practice the ASL ordinances. I know we really want to learn them, possibly come home and help in the Tucson temple.

No comments:

Post a Comment