Friday, December 29, 2017

29 December 2017 Dinner with the Knowles and other journal items

Friday 15 and Sunday 17 December 2017, I think I mentioned earlier that in the month of December there would be a musical event everyday at the visitor's center. We haven't been to many, and there are still more to come, but Friday the 15th and Sunday the 17th we had a chance to see two great shows. On Friday was the Capital Carillon Bell Choir. It was one I wanted to see, as I love listening to choir bells. It was a great group of performers, with several bell styles, from small to very large each with it's own sound. The music was beautiful and sometimes unique. At the end of the show they invited anyone to come down and ask question and see the bells. I of course went down there and visited with some of the performers. They answered questions and let me try the bells myself. I rather enjoyed it. For some reason I didn't take any pictures?? Oh well next time I will. On Sunday the 17th we went with the Weight's, Bishop's and Snelson's to see The U.S. Army Band Brass And Percussion Ensemble. As you would expect they were very good and I did take some pictures.








Sunday 24 December {Christmas Eve} I'm just writing a couple of short items for the next couple of days. Started the day on the Metro train headed for church like most Sundays. It's Christmas Eve and only one meeting, Sacrament meeting. It was a good Christmas program, highlighted with the Merrill family, (President's family) singing/signing with Eric Scott, (2nd counselor) signing O Holy Night. Later we went to the Rockcreek ward for their sacrament so we could see their Christmas program. Capping the evening and night we went to Mike and Michelle Knowle's home for Christmas Eve dinner and a really nice visit. We met the Knowles while visiting Sara and her family when they lived in Laredo, Tx. Mike was in the branch presidency, Sara and Michelle hit it off great and still remain friends. Anyway Sara told them we were serving in the DC temple, and they live in Maryland they invited us over for dinner. I'm here to tell you it was a very good meal, homemade everything (pies in particular). It's about 30 miles away from us, meaning at least an hr. drive. We were having a great time and realized it was 10:30pm, so we needed to get home arriving about 11:45pm. Wonderful day and evening.







Monday 25 December {Christmas Day!!} Today was spent opening gifts, from each other and the kids. As a side note, almost everyday we found something on the doorway from one of the missionaries. It is truly a loving friendly group. Christmas dinner was a progressive dinner, building 20 hosted the appetizers, building 16 hosted the salads, building 14 hosted the main course and our building, # 18 hosted the desserts. As always to much good good food and as always good good people. 









Thursday 28  December,  All week long missionaries have been coming in early or staying late to help out while the part time district workers take time off for family or vacation. It has kept us extra busy, but extra time in temple is a good thing. Anyway tonight we had tickets for one of the Visitor's Center nightly concerts, the Baxter Family Bluegrass Concert. Well, I like bluegrass and I like Christmas music, gotta like both together. I did, it was good wholesome family entertainment, an LDS family who play several bluegrass instruments, fiddle, banjo, mandolin, acoustic guitar, and bass guitar. And as you would think they all play other instruments. From 4 yrs old to dad and mom, the bass player was a member of the ward. I have a couple of videos, which I can't post, because I don't know how to make them work. Maybe I'll post one on FB.





No comments:

Post a Comment