Tuesday, November 14, 2017

12 November 2017...Temple stories and other items for journal entries

I have a couple of thoughts, I know that doesn't happen often, but I do get them. I was in the temple the other day and was in the initiatory room, as the initiatory director, we had several patrons come in and I needed to set up 3 booths, which is not very common, I also was handling the name issue booth,  so I was moving from area to area as needed. As time moved forward the ordinance workers were leaving for other assignments, leaving myself and one other worker. So I decided to enter the ordinance booth and assist the one worker. Every once in awhile checking to see about the name issue booth. The point being made is, to me anyway, it is pretty amazing how the brain functions when needed to. Each of the ordinances are memorized and you move from ordinance to ordinance and back, hopefully never missing a beat or word as it would be. The Spirit is strong in the temple. Last Friday was ASL training in the temple we worked on the endowment/ vale ordinance in preparation for next Friday's ASL temple day. Which means we have to get on learning the vale ordinance. I feel pretty sure I have it down, we'll see. One more story, even though the temple is busy, it is not unlike most other temples that during mid-day/ week days it can be slow. Sister Slade and I were officiating at a 4pm session and it looked slim, about 10 minutes before the session started, a single sister came in, then a couple (our witness couple). That's it! I thought no there is still some one needing this session, they wanted to close the doors, and I said wait a minute someone else is coming. Along comes another couple, then another. It was still small but we had twice as many as before. This is not unusual, and is compensated for (if you attend the temple you know what I mean).

Monday 13 November, a trip to Mt Vernon & the last BBQ for the season:
Today we took a trip to Mt Vernon, home of George Washington. I couldn't begin to say all that there is to say about George Washington, when you learn his history, despite what some people say about American History, you can't help but know there was Devine intervention in his life. Here are some pictures:

Front of the house 



backyard looking at the Potomac River


Back of the house


I took this in the backyard
Looks cold huh
It was about 40 degrees 


The carriage


this is a chair cart, notice the chair attached to the base


Out by the wharf 
on the Potomac


This is where George and Martha (and others) are interred. 




The Weights, and Bishops and me. Patty didn't feel like going so she stayed home


Monday was the last BBQ for the Brookside apts. for the season, I had been promising Sonoran dogs for my family and friends. I have been preparing for this for 3 weeks getting things ready, I was planning on making 24 dogs, which I did. I promised several people some Sonoran Dogs, so Im made 28, they were, to say the least over done!! The coals were way to hot and the bacon caused the coals to flare up. Anyway they burned, I was very disappointed, I felt like I built them up so much and it was not good. We had everything for the dogs, plus pie. Oh well, I gonna make it up on taco night. I decided to make my pan fried tacos, I'll let you know how that works out. Anyway here are some pictures of the BBQ:










Geri (Slade) Gillespie ask if we could take a picture of the "family"
So here we are the Slade's, one way or another.
Patty and I on the left, Paul and Pat (Slade) Nelson, Arnold and Geri (Slade) Gillespie
Wayne and Sue Slade
All standing in front of one of the apt buildings, actually the balcony with the wreath on it is Wayne's, Next to it with the tree lit is Geri's and above it is Pat's. Ours is on the other side of the building.

No comments:

Post a Comment